[Rspec-devel] volunteers to prove out experiment

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 18:30:18 EDT 2006

On 9/5/06, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I've created a branch with the modules and directories restructured to
> reflect three distinct modules:
>
> Spec::Expectations
> Spec::Mocks
> Spec::Runner
>
> Will the brave among you (with a little time on your hands - just a
> little) please check out the branch, build and install the gem and let
> me know if you run into any problems?
>
> svn co svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/branches/modularized
> cd modularized
> rake gem
> gem install pkg/rspec-0.6.4.gem
>
> I'd like to merge this to the trunk as soon as possible to minimize
> the merge pain, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything
> glariing.

As mentioned in a separate mail, I think it's fine to merge this back to trunk.

There is still some work to be done though.

First, I'd love to see module/class names be modified to reflect the
file structure. We can do this once back on trunk.

Second, we should modify the build so that the tests for each sub
library is run individually, to ensure there are no hidden cyclic
dependencies. I assume:

(see this in monospaced font)
Runner->Mocks->Expectations
  |                   ^
  |                   |
  +-----------------+

Again, this can be done on trunk. We should even consider having
separate Rakefiles for each sub project. That would be the cleanest.

We should package these as 3 independent gems, possibly with
independent versioning schemes similar to the way it's done in Rails.
I'm thinking 3 gems for now, possibly 4 when we start writing a more
gwt style runner:

Runner becomes rspec.gem
Mocks becomes rspec-mocks.gem (which we may EOL later)
Expectations becomes rspec-expectations.gem
A new gwt runner could become rbehave(?).gem or rspec-gwt.gem

Thoughts?

Aslak