[rspec-devel] Fwd: [ rspec-Feature Requests-6396 ] Disabled Specifications and a Yellow build

Brian Takita brian.takita at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 20:10:00 EST 2006

If you don't mind I would like to move this discussion to the mailing list
because it is easier to read.

I'm thinking a block would be useful because of bug #4690 has a spec that
exposes the bug. The bug is in the system but there is no corresponding spec
checked in. One has to go to the bug report to get the spec. This seems like
a disconnect between the bug report and the specs.

Also, there are times where I would like to run only one spec, because I
have some print statements in the code. I can comment out the specs (or
xtest in Test::Unit), but alas I'm a forgetful person and have been known to
check in commented out specs. I think the suite should fail, or at least
give a warning in this case. I also don't use Textmate, so it could be my
problem...

I don't believe that I've ever seen it used to allow tests to be ignored in
advance of implementation. I've only ever seen it used to ignore existing
tests that had been passing and were now failing. Worse, I've seen this
cause yellow to become the new green (i.e. an acceptable state for commits
and sometimes even releases). Absolutely vile.

This seems like a "process" or "people" issue rather than a tool issue.
Policy could be set to not allow yellow builds in CI or for releases. The
tool can be abused even with a red/green build. For example, people can
comment out specs or x out tests to get the green build.

Of course, if you insist on violating one of the most basic principles of
> BDD, you can write up your spec code and comment it out. The commented code
> would be in a logical place, but the tool would not be condoning the
> practice.

Commenting out the spec seems akin to sweeping the issue under the rug. If
it shows up as a warning, at least it can be tracked.