[rspec-devel] dogfood time?

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 11:24:50 EDT 2006

On 10/11/06, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Dave Astels <dastels at daveastels.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 10-Oct-06, at 10:27 PM, aslak hellesoy wrote:
> >
> > > A while ago I brought up the idea of making RSpec self-hosting. I.e.
> > > completely ditch RSpec's own Test::Unit tests and use RSpec to verify
> > > itself during the build process.
> > >
> > > One of the counter arguments that came up (I think it was Dave) was
> > > "what if we have bugs that get masked".
> > >
> > > I think that at this point RSpec core is mature enough to make it
> > > worth the risk. I think the risk of having masked bugs is minimal - I
> > > think we'd discover it quickly if it happened.
> > >
> > > What do you think? Is it time to trust our own tool and eat our own
> > > dogfood?
> > > (We'd check in the test2spec generated translations, reformat them and
> > > delete the Test::Unit tests plus test2spec)
> >
> > I think you're right that it's ready for that now.
> >
> > +1
>
> +1
>
> One word of caution on this. There are test/unit tests that don't get
> translated in the build because they test things like the ability of
> partial mocks to attach themselves to the Specification that is
> current running. When running a Specification INSIDE a Specification,
> the mocks attach themselves to the wrong spec. So this area will need
> to be restructured such that we can translate all of the specs before
> we follow through on this.

I have created branches/dogfood for this. Work done so far:

* Checked in translated specs under the specs folder
* Translated by hand specs that didn't translate (mock_spec.rb,
context_spec.rb and a couple of others)
* Deleted test2spec and all references in the doco and the Rakefile
* Code coverage is now up from 95.8% to 98.3%

Remaining work:
* Delete the Test::Unit tests
* Replace curlies with do/end (A regexp search/replace should do fine)
* Indent/reformat the specs so they look nice.

Does anyone know of a tool that can format badly formatted ruby code nicely?

I'd like to get this back to trunk as soon as possible to avoid
divergence. Any objections if I merge back before we've sorted the
curlies/formatting issues?

Aslak