[rspec-devel] Rails: tracking Edge or Stable release? (found bug on edge)

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 15:10:32 EDT 2006

On 10/7/06, David Lee <david at davelee.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been tracking RSpec and using it exclusively for a new project.
> I've found a great deal to like about it.
>
> I ran into a mysterious issue while functional testing on edge rails,
> which resulted in my losing a couple of hours and reporting this
> ticket (RSpec with Rails: skip_before_filter is ignored on edge rails):
>
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=6053&group_id=797&atid=3149
>
> I'd like to know if RSpec is 'supposed' to be tracking edge, or just
> the latest stable release (or both), so i can adjust my development
> setup and bug reporting habits accordingly.

While rspec core is fairly stable at this point, rspec_on_rails has a
way to go and will remain volitile for a little bit. That said, feel
free to raise any bugs you wish. Even if we don't get to them right
away we want to know what's going on, and in the long run we want
rspec_on_rails to be a flat out better choice than test/unit for those
interested in BDD and even those TDD'ers who just long for better
separation between model, controller and view specs.

As far as edge rails is concerned, we don't have a formal policy about
this yet but we should have one before we release 1.0 (which I am
hoping will happen before the end of the year). My current thinking is
that, given that all of the committers are fortunate to be working
full time jobs, we'll likely not commit to keeping up w/ edge rails,
but that we'll always try to support the latest rails release as of
our release. That seems fair and feasible to me.

> thanks for the great tool, all involved

Thanks for using it and expressing your interest in it.

Cheers,
David