[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Feature Requests-6898 ] Can we separate rspec from the plugins?

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sun Nov 26 19:18:50 EST 2006

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3152&aid=6898&group_id=797

Initial Comment:
I'm trying to use rspec to do my rails development, and a while ago I had found a way to be able to use edge rspec and the plugin.  Today I svn uped and to my surprise, the rspec code (not the plugin) ended up downloading three different versions of Rails.

Is there any way we can separate the rspec code base from the plugins?  If I download trunk, I just want it to be rspec itself...the Rails stuff shouldn't be under it.  If I'm in a Rails project, I can install the rspec libs as a plugin, and the Rails plugin separately.  Some of you may have seen my article a couple weeks ago about doing that (site is no longer up, sorry).

Basically now it's a real pain to try to use edge rspec inside a Rails project.  However that's the best way to make updates both to rspec itself and the plugin.  If you could make it so they're separated more cleanly, I'd happily bang out Rails related bugs and RFEs as I work on my own Rails apps.

Date: 2006-11-26 17:18

Message:
"And, of course, bugs and RFEs are most welcome. Feel free
to contribute patches as well."

That's what I meant by bang out bugs and RFEs :)  I'll go
through the list and write patches, as well as come up with
whatever other patches I need as I write my Rails app.  Just
kinda tough with the current structure...any timeline on
when things will be cleaner?

Date: 2006-11-26 17:13

Message:
Absolutely! We've been wanting to restructure things and this is one of the issues under discussion. We'll address this soon. When we're ready to, there will be an email to the list in advance so that those who do prefer to work from source won't be all screwed up by it.

And, of course, bugs and RFEs are most welcome. Feel free to contribute patches as well.

Cheers,