[rspec-devel] Splitting up the APIs

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 14:39:24 EST 2006

Many people don't realise that RSpec can be used from within
Test::Unit like this:

require 'test/unit'
require 'rubygems'
require 'spec'

class SpecTest < Test::Unit::TestCase
  def test_hello_should_be_of_length_four
    "hello".length.should_be 4

Christian (http://tinyurl.com/sr665) and Rick
(http://tinyurl.com/y736tq) have taken the ideas they like from RSpec,
reimplemented it in their own way (NIH) and released it to the public.
Competition is good - as long as it brings something new to the table.
I'm not sure what these two clones do better though.

Anyway, I think now is a good time to split RSpec up in three parts:

* should_expectations.gem
* rspec_context.gem
* rspec_mock.gem

Hopefully this will reduce people's urge to replicate RSpec's ideas -
because they can pick what they need.

Of course, it's possible to cherry-pick what you need from RSpec in
its current form, but people have a strange tendency to feel uneasy
when they only use parts of a library. It's weird.