[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Feature Requests-6578 ] Integrate SeleniumOnRails with rspec_selenium support

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Thu Nov 16 16:18:41 EST 2006

Category: rails plugin

Initial Comment:
The idea of rspec's Selenium support is nice, but SeleniumOnRails provides some great features including the testrunner console, fixture loading, table clearing, etc.  I don't know how feasible it is to integrate, since SOR uses Selenium-Core, and rspec currently uses Selenium-RC.  But it's my feature request and so I get to ask for it.

Date: 2006-11-16 16:18

There's no way to provide code for some of these, but I'll
give you some stories instead.

1. Selenium on Rails provides a controller (added only in
the test environment) that lets me:

- load fixtures
- clear specific tables
- clear the session hash

This is necessary because rspec's usual transactional
fixtures can't work when rspec's running in a different
process than the web server that the browser talks to.

2. SOR lets me see the progress of the test, and stops on
the failed screen if a test fails.  For some reason, even
though the rest of rspec doesn't (can't) provide such a
feature, I really missed this in the Selenium support; rspec
closes the browser whether or not the test succeeds.

3. SOR provides a "test runner" control panel to control the
speed of execution, let me run specific tests, etc.  Perhaps
a --walk option along with the new --line feature would
suffice here.

4. SOR provides some nice Javascript magic that shows the
test itself in a frame, and turns each step of the test
green when it's executed.

5. I think the 'keep the browser open' patch should be
integrated as a command-line or runtime option.

These are listed in roughly the order I care about them; #1
and #2 especially are preventing me from switching from SOR
to rspec's inbuilt support.

Date: 2006-11-13 13:41

What kind of integration are you looking for? You have to be more specific. Code please.