[rspec-devel] RSpec on JRuby

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 11:43:57 EST 2006

On 11/9/06, Nick Sieger <nicksieger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/9/06, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I thought I'd try out how RSpec works on JRuby.
>
> [...]
>

> > Not bad for a first try. I'm not sure whether it's failing because of
> > Ruby 1.8.5 (that's what JRuby trunk is based on) or JRuby itself.
> > Maybe building RSpec could be a nice acceptance test for JRuby?
>
> That's a great idea, I'll bring it up on the jruby and rubytests lists.  Pat
> Eyler has a project called legion where he's using tests from Ruby projects
> as a yardstick of how complete a Ruby implementation is.  RSpec could
> certainly be added to it.  The fact that RSpec specs itself is pretty cool
> and should add a new dimension to those tests, I would think.
>
> JRuby is based on 1.8.x -- I wouldn't say that it's tracking the most recent
> changes in 1.8.5 so closely that 1.8.5 compatibility issues are very likely
> to be the culprit.

If you talk to them, please tell them that I think I found the reason
for most of the errors:

The following code does not behave consistently with C Ruby in JRuby trunk/HEAD:
Kernel.raise "Hello" # => NoMethodError: private method 'raise' called
for Kernel:Module
In Ruby it raises RuntimeError: Lala