[rspec-devel] RSpec on JRuby

Nick Sieger nicksieger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 11:29:54 EST 2006

On 11/9/06, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought I'd try out how RSpec works on JRuby.

[...]

> Not bad for a first try. I'm not sure whether it's failing because of
> Ruby 1.8.5 (that's what JRuby trunk is based on) or JRuby itself.
> Maybe building RSpec could be a nice acceptance test for JRuby?

That's a great idea, I'll bring it up on the jruby and rubytests lists.  Pat
Eyler has a project called legion where he's using tests from Ruby projects
as a yardstick of how complete a Ruby implementation is.  RSpec could
certainly be added to it.  The fact that RSpec specs itself is pretty cool
and should add a new dimension to those tests, I would think.

JRuby is based on 1.8.x -- I wouldn't say that it's tracking the most recent
changes in 1.8.5 so closely that 1.8.5 compatibility issues are very likely
to be the culprit.

Cheers,
/Nick