[rspec-devel] [ rspec-Feature Requests-6519 ] Let RubyGems install dependencies instead of having to do it manually

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Mon Nov 6 20:35:35 EST 2006

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3152&aid=6519&group_id=797

Initial Comment:
For release 0.7, ZenTest must be installed first. Instead of having to do this manually, it would be nicer if we could do this

$ gem install -y rspec

or

$ gem update -y rspec

and let RubyGems do the work.

Date: 2006-11-06 20:35

Message:
Thanks, Aslak, for clarifying the dependencies. I like your
idea.

Date: 2006-11-06 20:26

Message:
Every release of RSpec is comprised of two artefacts (so far); The RSpec gem and the RSpec plugin. The former represents the core functionality (and vision) of RSpec and BDD in general. The second artefact is "distributed" as a rails plugin (via code tagged in subversion).

It is only the latter (the spec/rails Rails plugin) which depends upon ZenTest. RSpec core (the gem) does not.

For the sake of convenience, we *could* make the gem depend on ZenTest to make the spec/rails experience smoother.

However, I feel that an explicit dependency from the RSpec gem to ZenTest would imply an undesired intrusion of RSpec's desire to be simplistic and pristine (it does not depend on ZenTest).

Would it not be better if we implemented a mechanism in spec/rails that informs developers how they need to install a compatible version of ZenTest?