[rspec-devel] Automatic compatibility check for RSpec on Rails

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 14:00:03 EST 2006

The short version: Developers *must* run pre_commit prior to
committing - it's more important than before.

The longer version:

Several people are experiencing problems because they have an RSpec on
Rails plugin that is incompatible with their installed RSpec gem.
Because I'm lazy I made RSpec on Rails able to detect
incompatibilities on its own.

There are now two files in our codebase that store the current svn
revision in their source (via the svn:externals feature -

The latter, when loaded (it's required by rspec_on_rails.rb) will
check that the rev numbers are the same in those two files. If they
are not, an exception is thrown with a message to the user describing
what to do.

In order to ensure that these two files get updated with the current
svn revision numbers during a commit it is MANDATORY that rake
pre_commit be run prior to a commit. This will modify those files with
a random comment, which will in turn cause svn to update the
$LastChangedRevision tokens in those files during the next commit.
(Without this random modification svn will *not* update the
$LastChangedRevision tokens in those files).

It's a little bit of magic, but it will help us in the long run.