[Rspec-devel] should_be_nil or should.be.nil

Jay Levitt lists-rspec at shopwatch.org
Tue Jun 6 22:32:21 EDT 2006

aslak hellesoy wrote:
> On 6/6/06, Cuong Tran <cuong.tran at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm just a rspec beginner but I would vote for DOT since it's a bit easier
>> on my finger :-)
>> My little finger is overwork already.
>>

> Vote noted, but I think it's more important to please eyes than
> fingers. Readability has high importance in RSpec land.
>
> What reads best to you? dots or underscores? Indifferent?

What exactly are we voting on when we say "underscores"?  Are we saying
"my_obj.reader.should_be true", or "my_reader_should_be_true"?  I think
the former actually conveys intent best - take an existing method like
my_obj.reader, and call the "should_be" test on it.  Neither
"my.obj.reader.should.be true" nor "my_obj_reader_should_be_true" convey
that.  So is that a vote for mixed, or is this actually what you mean by
underscores?

Jay