[Rspec-devel] rails_plugin_fix merged to trunk

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 05:13:49 EDT 2006

On 7/31/06, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Brian's great work on branches/rails_plugin_fix has been merged back
> to trunk. In other words, rake pre_commit now passes (It runs *all*
> the stuff that can break, including rails stuff).
>
> There is a structural change too. We decided to ditch the
> generator/gem packaging scheme for the rails stuff. It's just a plugin
> now. We need to update our docs about how to install it since
> installing a given version of it will now rely on svn tags.
>
> There is still some cleanup to do in the rails code, but it's getting
> a lot cleaner and no longer duplicates *any* of the fixtures stuff
> thanks to the new inherit method (thanks again Brian).
>
> Does everyone still agree that we should lose the
> "controller/functional test" support and go for integration specs
> instead? (Using rails' app object).

I want isolated tests for controllers. That's actually why I'm working
on the mock framework - to support an acts_as_mock plugin that lets
you stub out class level methods like new and find. That way
controller specs can avoid the database entirely and specs for model
stuff (like validation) can live in the model where it is implemented.

> I think this would still make it possible to write specs for
> controllers, but in a better way.
>
> And for view stuff I'd like to try out something like this:
> http://www.fearoffish.co.uk/articles/2006/07/28/testing_views_with_style

+1

> Regarding backwards compatibilty of the railsy stuff, I'd say we don't
> try to keep things BWC. We're only at 0.5.x and it would be too much
> of a commitment. Let's get it right instead.

+1