[Rspec-devel] rails_plugin_fix merged to trunk

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 00:59:25 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Brian's great work on branches/rails_plugin_fix has been merged back
to trunk. In other words, rake pre_commit now passes (It runs *all*
the stuff that can break, including rails stuff).

There is a structural change too. We decided to ditch the
generator/gem packaging scheme for the rails stuff. It's just a plugin
now. We need to update our docs about how to install it since
installing a given version of it will now rely on svn tags.

There is still some cleanup to do in the rails code, but it's getting
a lot cleaner and no longer duplicates *any* of the fixtures stuff
thanks to the new inherit method (thanks again Brian).

Does everyone still agree that we should lose the
"controller/functional test" support and go for integration specs
instead? (Using rails' app object).

I think this would still make it possible to write specs for
controllers, but in a better way.

And for view stuff I'd like to try out something like this:

Regarding backwards compatibilty of the railsy stuff, I'd say we don't
try to keep things BWC. We're only at 0.5.x and it would be too much
of a commitment. Let's get it right instead.