[Rspec-devel] Rspec on Rails is broken in SVN

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 22:04:28 EDT 2006

On 7/22/06, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/22/06, Brian Takita <brian.takita at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I fixed the nil.should_* methods for rspec_on_rails. The fix is in the
> > rails_plugin_fix branch.
>
> Thanks Brian.
>
> Couple of things:
>
> It looks like you mostly copied some sugar code into
> rspec_on_rails.rb. I'm a little concerned about the duplication. Sugar
> keeps changing whenever we find a case we forgot to test - now that's
> going to have to happen in two places.

I'm still getting a nil.should_be error on the rails_plugin_fix
branch. It might be because I moved that file from lib to the template
dir and merges got lost. (Subversion didn't tell me anything though).

The reason I moved it is that the gem's lib directory isn't
automatically available, so I moved the runtime code to a plugin
instead. (This plugin gets installed by the generator).
Anyway, I think the packaging is

> What do you think about just keeping the NilClass patching in
> sugar.rb? At least then it's all in the same file.

I agree - it's ok to patch core on this branch.

> Also, when I grabbed the branch and followed the directions in the
> README file in rspec_on_rails, I got the following:
>
> ../../bin/test2spec --template spec/test2spec.erb --specdir
> spec/models test/unit
> Writing translated specs to spec/models
> Creating  : spec/models/animal_spec.rb
> Failed to translate     ActionController::IntegrationTest

You can run test2spec with --verbose to get more info.
Let's focus on the core features of RSpec on Rails for now, and get it
back to trunk as soon as the important stuff (i.e. running specs) is
ok. We can work on the translation later. Translation of Rails tests
should be part of rspec on rails' pre_commit.

Aslak

> Done
>
> So there still seems to be a translation problem. I won't have a
> chance to look at this for probably a week, so if anyone else has
> time, please check it out.

Me neither - I'm heading to Agile2006, as is David.

Aslak