[Rspec-devel] Rspec on Rails is broken in SVN

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 12:52:23 EDT 2006

On 7/21/06, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, except that mine says /Users/david/ ;)
> The same thing was happening to me w/ the failing_examples last week
> and I believe you fixed it.

By 'the same thing' do you mean that the build broke, but in a
different way than what I described (rails specific)

> This brings up, once again, two issues that I think we need to resolve:
> One is that we don't have an automated way to run all of the tests. To
> me, ensuring that changes don't break the ability to run the examples,
> failing_examples and the rails examples must be part of the commit
> process. We need to either agree to do this manually, chopping off the
> hands of those who fail to comply, or we need to pursue a CI setup
> that includes the execution of these tasks on every commit.

See separate mail

> The other is this whole sugar thing. This is like the 5th time it's
> come up as a problem w/ changes we're making. I propose that we draw a
> line in the sand right now. We're either committed to it, which means
> that all changes must be tested to not conflict w/ sugar (which means
> there should be tests that are expressed using the _ syntax) or we
> should bag the thing. I'm  leaning more and more towards bagging it,
> but I understand the desires of users to have the more rubyish syntax.
> It's just that it makes rspec brittle. Maybe it's just that we need an
> implementation that is less ticklish.
> Thoughts?

Steven says he can fix it. If he (or anyone else) can show us the code
(either by committing it or submitting a patch) I think we should
still try to keep it.

Right now the rspec on rails stuff is completely broken, so the
underscore bug that happens with rails can't be reproduced until it's

Brian has said he'll try to fix rails - hopefully by using inherit
Test::Unit::TestCase and ditching our own fixture code.

Let's wait a few days till rails is fixed and see if the underscore
bug is still there.