[Rspec-devel] Rspec on Rails is broken in SVN

Steven R. Baker srbaker at pobox.com
Fri Jul 21 12:48:01 EDT 2006

> It's what users want based on the question "what do you want, dots or
> underscores?" Ask the question "what do you want, underscores or
> reliability?" and I'll bet you get a different answer.

No, the underscores aren't unreliable.  The current implementation of
the underscored method sugar has a few oversights that haven't been
completely worked around yet.  Not a big deal.

> Developing software is always a balancing act between what users want
> and what is pragmatic. Underscores have continually proved themselves
> un-pragmatic, and will continue to do so for the life of this project
> unless we come up w/ a better solution than is currently in place.

The solution is in the works.  At this point, I'm fighting the
ceiling of my own understanding of method call order in Ruby.  I'm
sure this is a simple solution for folks with more metaprogramming-fu.

-Steven