[Rspec-devel] What is a context?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 14:44:55 EDT 2006

On 7/16/06, Brian Takita <brian.takita at gmail.com> wrote:

> The programmer in me really want's the ability to nest the context. I
> probably won't use it much, and it would probably make it less readable, it
> makes the DSL more "elegant".

"slick" maybe. "elegant" implies beauty. Not so sure that this would
make things more beautiful.

> Nesting context's are also a very generic solution, which means it
> communicates less than more specialized language.
> context > scenerio > step communicates a use case better than context >
> context > specify .
> I just wonder if we want to have the nested contexts as a baseline generic
> language structure that would serve those edge cases where the more
> specialized language structures do not apply.

I really appreciate what you're driving at here. And there is a
developer in me as well that would like the convenience of nested
contexts for when I'm writing the specs. There are a couple of
problems we need to solve to make this work while encouraging

I'm getting ready to head out, but I'll try to follow up w/ more detail later.