[Rspec-devel] Rspec/Test::Unit Integration

Brian Takita brian.takita at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 03:01:59 EDT 2006

> An additional benefit of Test::Unit wrappage is that the existing
> tools for Test::Unit will Just Work.  This includes the rake tasks,
> Eclipse plugins, TDDmate, etc, as well as Rails integration,
> autotest, and any other tools that are dependent on Test::Unit.

I'm not sure that deliberate incompatibility with Test::Unit is a
> good way to proceed, but I'm also not sure that building on top of
> what we're essentially replacing is necessarily better.

I think wrapping Test::Unit is the "pragmatic" way to transition into Rspec
in certain situations. Old habits die hard and culture is hard to influence.
It seems injecting specs in place of tests that should be specs are a
gentler way to introduce Rspec.
But yes, you do have something that does need differentiation from
Test::Unit and it seems easy enough to be labeled "just another testing
framework".

The main thing we're doing with BDD is changing the language.
> Specifically, removing the test-laden vocabulary from what we're
> actually practicing (and preaching).  Wrapping "testing" frameworks
> so that we can use "testing tools" is probably not a good way to
> spread the word.  Additionally, RSpec is quite a bit faster, and
> significantly less code than Test::Unit.  I consider this to be a
> feature, as well.

Thanks for explaining (again) the reasons why you moved in this direction.

Are tests and specs mutually exclusive? If not, when would one want to use
specs vs using tests and vice versa?

Brian