[Rspec-devel] Rake Task - not for Windows ?

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 17:46:06 EDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/21/06, DeeJay <smartgpx at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > After some head-scratching, I have come to the conclusion that
> Spec::Rake::SpecTask will
> > not run on Windows - is that correct?
> >
> > (Point of failure is likely to be a reference to 'sh' in the task's run
> method.)
> The "sh" command will work in windows.  However, since it invokes external
> programs, those programs may or may not be available on the target machine.
> What is that particular "sh" command trying to run?

I'm not sure what the command DeeJay is trying to run is. However -
the bug on rubyforge (http://rubyurl.com/dvp) happened when the user

rake examples_with_rcov --trace
(standing in the rspec svn root directory)

This results in the following being passed to sh:

"rcov --exclude \"lib\\/spec\\/.*\" -Ilib
\"/Users/aslakhellesoy/scm/rspec/trunk/bin/spec\"    --
\"examples/airport_spec.rb\" \"examples/bdd_framework_spec.rb\"
\"examples/custom_method_spec.rb\" \"examples/file_accessor_spec.rb\"
\"examples/io_processor_spec.rb\" \"examples/mocking_spec.rb\"
\"examples/stack_spec.rb\" \"examples/sugar_spec.rb\"
{:verbose=>true, :noop=>false}

(I added "p *cmd" to the top of rake's sh method to see this)

Question to DeeJay:
1) What exactly should we do to reproduce this on a windows box?
2) Does the spec task behave badly for both plain ruby and rcov usage?