[Rspec-devel] [Rspec-users] [ANN] RSpec 0.6.0

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 17:14:12 EDT 2006

On 8/9/06, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't looked at the recent changes, so bear with me...
> On 8/9/06, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This release represents a formal commitment to underscores (dots are
> > no longer supported),
> What exactly do we mean by "supported"? Dots still seem to work ok.
> Can you give an example of when thet will not work?

to name a few

There are some that will continue to work for now due to the
underlying implementation, but that may or may not change based on
future needs of the system.

> > which allowed us to reduce the code base by
> > nearly 10%.
> >
> That's awesome! What code got sliced?

Most of it came from should_helper, should_negator and we got rid of
several other helpers.

> I see sugar is still in there, so I assume underscored syntax is just
> delegating to the dotted one. If that's so, doesn't that mean that
> using dots is just as good as using underscores (in case anyone is
> masochistic enough to do it - I'm all for underscores)?

Sugar will live on. It is what all who spoke up prefer. Except for Dave ;)

> > http://rubyforge.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=6377
> > http://rspec.rubyforge.org/
> >
> > To be clear, if you have dots in your examples, they may break. The
> Ho ho ho - David is playing with a new word - "examples" :-)
> Is it about time to announce that the T word is now verboten on this list?

I like the word examples better than specs because it works better w/
statements like "run the examples". It removes the test/spec

> Which brings up another point of discussion. What's the best word to
> use instead of the T word? (See separate mail)

Example, I say. Well, Brian Marick probably said it first. Dan likes
to use scenario, but that carries a lot of other baggage w/ it
("scenario testing"). We'll leave more discussion for the other email.