[Rspec-devel] Lingo

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 17:12:10 EDT 2006

We all hate the T word. We have a few alternatives for it. Whatever
word we end up with, I think it's important that the word:

o fits well with the BDD mantra and vocabulary
o and this ruby framework's name be aligned
o can be used effectively in conversations between (possibly
non-trechnical) people

Here is my take on some of them

== Spec ==
Pro: Fits well with the RSpec name
Con: Not so easy to 'talk' about
Con: Doesn't underline the Behavioural gist of BDD

== Example ==
Pro: Easy to talk about
Con: Doesn't fit with the RSpec name
Con: doesn't fit with BDD lingo

== Behaviour ==
Pro: Fits with the BDD lingo
Con: May be hard to talk about in some situations / with some people
Con: Doesn't fit the RSpec name

Personally I'm a fan of 'Example'. It's easy to explain to people. So
how would we address the two cons? For the RSpec name, we could simply
change the name of RSpec to something else. For the mismatch with BDD
lingo, perhaps we could start talking about "Behaviour Driven
Development by Example"? (We give examples of the software's desired
behaviour).

What do you think folks?

Aslak