[Rspec-devel] New Lead Developer

Steven R.Baker srbaker at pobox.com
Wed Aug 2 16:26:18 EDT 2006

I first wrote RSpec a year ago as a personal exercise to improve my
understanding of, and abilities utilizing, metaprogramming in Ruby.
Behaviour Driven Development was also new, and was just starting to
get traction.  The increasing popularity of Ruby (likely as a result
of Rails) combined with the introduction of fresh ideas with BDD
caused RSpec to become wildly popular.

What was originally intended as a throw away project, just to see if
I could, has turned into something that I no longer really have the
vision for.  I have learned a great deal working on RSpec, but I have
outlived my utility as the lead developer.  As RSpec matures, I am
far more interested in seeing what new developments in BDD are
arising than I am in trying to blaze the trails myself.

David Chelimsky has been one of the most active contributors since he
joined the project, in terms of code written, mailing list
assistance, and new ideas.  Dave has a genuine interest in both the
project, the community around the project, and the ideas that RSpec
is encouraging people to learn.  Effective immediately, Dave will be
the lead developer of RSpec.  In collective code ownership, this
doesn't matter, but I've always leaned towards weak code ownership,
though, and I find that it is especially important in Open Source

Dave has been made an Admin on the Rubyforge project page.  In a few
weeks, I'll ask him to reduce me to "Senior Developer" once we know
that the transition issues are solved.  Thanks to Dave for taking
this on, so that I can focus on other things.  I'm looking forward to
seeing what happens next.

Oh yeah, the dots are his fault.