[Rspec-devel] New website, better release process

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 02:38:18 EDT 2006

Lads,

I have uploaded a new website to http://rspec.rubyforge.org/
Underneath it you will find RDoc and RCov as well as hand-written docs
that Dave A and I have been working on lately. Here is what you need
to know about the website:

* Documentation (*.page files) must be in textile format
(http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/)
* You must gem install syntax, webgen and redcloth in order to
generate the website
* You can generate the website locally with 'rake doc'
* Don't paste code in the docs - use the special tag I added for it
(see doc/src/examples.page) and it will end up nicely
syntax-colourised.

The website still needs some styling improvements - I'll try to get
this done before the show in Canada.

The Rakefile has also be overhauled, making the release process much
easier. In order to make a new release you must:

* Make sure CHANGES has all the important changes since last release
* Ensure CHANGES and lib/version.rb agree
* svn commit
* rake release
* Bump version in lib/version.rb (the upcoming version)
* Add a fresh new entry in CHANGES with the same upcoming version
(prefixed with 'In SVN')
* svn commit

'rake release' will do the following:

* Run tests, outputting an rcov report
* Package gem, tgz and zip files
* Release (upload) files to RubyForge's release system
* Generate website with webgen
* Move the RCov report under the website
* Generate RDoc under the website
* Upload all the HTML to http://rspec.rubyforge.org/

There were previously some permission problems that prevented some of
you from doing rake release. This should be fixed now
(http://rubyurl.com/wUb). Holler if you can't release.

Laters,
Aslak