[rjb-users] Memory Growth

arton arton at e07.itscom.net
Tue Feb 5 05:27:44 EST 2008

Hi Chiris

Rjb takes no risk GC strategy. It releases logically safe objects only.
That means arguments and returned objects. For example String object
that passed from Java methods or Array object that Rjb passes to JVM are
released by Rjb and JVM can collect them.
In contrast, Rjb never release any meta data such as Classes, Methods,
Fields etc. The objects remain in the process forever.
So If you import many Java classes, or Classes that defines many methods causes
memory growth.

Also, you can set special flags to JVM in Rjb::load method's second
argument. it taks an array of strings, each string contains one flag.
for example
Rjb::load nil, ['-verbose:gc']
turns on verbose:gc flag (JVM emits GC status to stdout).
If you'd like to set some specific flag
Rjb::load nil, ['-X***', '-X***' ...]

Best regards.

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:48:20 -0500
"Chris O'Meara" <chris at theomearas.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a Rails app which uses RJB extensively to integrate commercial
> Java libraries.  Mid-way through the project we encountered some Java
> out-of-memory errors and used a Java profiler to track those problems
> down and clean them up.  Now we're seeing problems with our Ruby
> process growing to varying degrees on various platforms.  (We're
> tracking RSS to determine the process size.)  On a MacBook Pro running
> Leopard on Mongrel process stays around 100MB; about 200MB on VMWare
> running CentOS 4; about 800MB on a 4-way RHEL 4 server.
>
> Is there anything RJB-specific I should know about as I start
> profiling my app?  Any ideas what could cause the Ruby process to grow
> so dramatically?  Any profiler suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris

arton