[rjb-users] Memory Growth

Chris O'Meara chris at theomearas.net
Mon Feb 4 20:48:20 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I have a Rails app which uses RJB extensively to integrate commercial
Java libraries.  Mid-way through the project we encountered some Java
out-of-memory errors and used a Java profiler to track those problems
down and clean them up.  Now we're seeing problems with our Ruby
process growing to varying degrees on various platforms.  (We're
tracking RSS to determine the process size.)  On a MacBook Pro running
Leopard on Mongrel process stays around 100MB; about 200MB on VMWare
running CentOS 4; about 800MB on a 4-way RHEL 4 server.

Is there anything RJB-specific I should know about as I start
profiling my app?  Any ideas what could cause the Ruby process to grow
so dramatically?  Any profiler suggestions?

Thanks in advance,