[rjb-users] Rjb on Rails: Can't Create Java VM

rjb-users at rubyforge.org rjb-users at rubyforge.org
Mon Oct 22 18:44:48 EDT 2007

>  I put this in my environment.rb (consistent with what is defined in my
>  bash environment) as is advised in http://rjb.rubyforge.org/:
>  JAVA_HOME = '/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun'
> ='/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/lib/i386:/usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/jre/lib/i386/client'
>  CLASSPATH='/opt/cf/lib/saxon8.jar'
>  Error I receive is:
>  RuntimeError: can't create Java VM

I had a similar problem awhile back.  I remember I diagnosed the
problem and found it wouldn't work for some reason or another.  I just
can't remember why.  I need Google for my brain.

Anyways, I fixed it by adding a shell script that exported those
variables and called mongrel.  I also edited the mongrel_cluster
init.d file to do the same.  I blogged about it, scroll down to the
"Caveats" part.

Hope that helps.

Jason Yates
jaywhy at gmail.com