[rjb-users] JRuby Compatibility?

richard apodaca rich_apodaca at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 12:19:47 EST 2007

Hi All,

What if I could write a single version of my Ruby/Java
application and have it run with only minor
modifications on both MRI/RJB and JRuby?

There are currently some differences between the two
that make it difficult to run Ruby/Java code on both
platforms.

For example, JRuby supports rubyesque methods
("object.do_something" instead of
"object.doSomething"). JRuby also has an "import"
method that does something different than Rjb::import.
So my JRuby code isn't easily ported to MRI/RJB
because these dependencies would be scattered
throughout it.

I'm not sure how much work this would involve, but
what if RJB's API worked more like JRuby's?

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Rich