[rjb-users] RJB, iText generates blank pdf

Wes Hays weshays at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 01:37:21 EST 2007

Is anyone else using RJB and iText to fill PDFs successfully?  I have a pdf that I created in Adobe Acrobat Professional with 3 text fields (Name, Age and Dog) with some additional text on the page.  When I run the following code it generates a pdf with the fields filled in but the other text that I placed on the form is gone.

require 'rjb' # Version 1.0.11
Rjb::load(RAILS_ROOT + '/java/lib/iText-2.0.7.jar')

@byteArrayOutputStream = Rjb::import('java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream')
@acroFields = Rjb::import('com.lowagie.text.pdf.AcroFields')
@pdfReader  = Rjb::import('com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfReader')
@pdfStamper = Rjb::import('com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfStamper')
@pdfFormField = Rjb::import('com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfFormField')

@baos    = @byteArrayOutputStream.new
@reader  = @pdfReader.new_with_sig('Ljava.lang.String;', RAILS_ROOT + '/java/data/regform2.pdf')
@stamper = @pdfStamper.new_with_sig("Lcom.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfReader;Ljava.io.OutputStream;", @reader, @baos)
@form    = @stamper.getAcroFields()

f = File.new(RAILS_ROOT + '/java/data/regform_ruby2.pdf', "w")
f.syswrite @baos.toString