JRuby branch started

Jason Garber jg at jasongarber.com
Tue Sep 16 10:20:07 EDT 2008

I've started a branch on GitHub so that those who are interested can
hack on JRuby compatibility for RedCloth:
http://github.com/jgarber/redcloth/tree/jruby

As I've said from time to time, I don't have the time, skills, or
inclination to work on it, but I didn't want to hold back those who
do.  Thus, I've refactored the code a bit in the branch to separate
out the Ragel code from the C code.  All you have to do, I think (from
reading the Hpricot source), is create identical functions in Java
where possible.  There will be a few cases where a Ragel pattern will
have to be rewritten for C and Java, but they should be very, very few.

To get started:

1. if you don't have JRuby installed,
	rake jruby:install         # Installs jruby in a subdirectory of ./
test/
	set your PATH for jruby
	you may need to gem install echoe in jruby
2. hack away
3. compile with rake jruby:redcloth_scan_java
4. jruby -S rake test

I'm thinking when JRuby support is at 100% (all test cases pass), we
merge it into trunk and release RedCloth 5.  From now until then, all
donations to the redcloth fund on pledgie will be saved up for the
contributors to the JRuby branch.  At release, I'll divide it up among
contributors (myself excluded) according to my judgement of their
contribution.(1)

Donate (nay, invest!) now if you want to see a JRuby version released: http://www.pledgie.com/campaigns/1081

Jason

1.) If there's little or no progress made on the branch by Christmas,
I'll return the money to the people who gave it. (2)
2.) If for some reason I can't return the money, I'll donate it to
charity.