[Rbrainz-users] Cover Art and rbrainz

Nicholas Humfrey Nicholas.Humfrey at bbc.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 11:21:15 EST 2009

On 09/02/2009 15:40, "Charlie Hubbard" <charlie.hubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Nicholas.  Couple of issues using that.  One when I do a search using a
> filter as in Query.get_releases( filter ).  I don't get back the advanced
> relationships, and there's no API to say include those explicitly.

I'm afraid that is a MusicBrainz limitation, not an rbrainz limitation.

> So I then
> have to use the ID to load it back, including the relationships, then go and
> find the cover art URLs.  That's a lot of back and forth across several
> services.

Yes. That is the way you have to do it... Hopefully you don't need to fetch
the full information about every result returned though?

> And the second issue is I haven't come across many examples
> including the cover art URLs.  I've done searches on pretty popular items, but
> I can't find anything including the cover art URLs other than the examples.

There are currently 12700 Cover Art URLs in the database, here are some
examples:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/6f1acc63-627d-440b-896d-495650c046ec.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/78b319a4-d329-4499-8464-22fdcae28029.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/cdd82058-a1f8-4421-b62a-8535cbc51d24.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/94668384-ea12-411a-ba06-b3dbcf19a630.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/63f57150-cd88-448c-920c-cd7764d53bf3.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/6c4ef5e4-55c6-4f91-82fb-81f329cf3ee9.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/c5386748-ca50-48fe-ae95-48ab3529563a.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/fea9f375-2492-403c-bfb4-771dacba8155.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/d00d18fa-4f5a-4d79-85c0-b21cea1dd827.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/e056fa71-a632-46ff-864a-d9a57d271364.html
http://musicbrainz.org/release/dfdf35ad-815d-472c-b39f-d28cd460ea15.html

> I know I can use the ASIN to find the cover art through amazon's cover art
> service, but I was hoping by using musicbrainz I could use all of the cover
> art services through it's advanced relationships
> (http://musicbrainz.org/doc/CoverArtSites).  Is that not the case?

Yes, you can. But only about 2% have this type of relationship.
There are 206512 (31%) releases with Amazon ASINs.

nick.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/