[Rbrainz-users] Auto-discard notification

Philipp Wolfer phw at rubyforge.org
Sun Aug 17 15:42:13 EDT 2008

Hello John,

a quick note before I answer your questions: Your mail to
rbrainz-users at rubyforge.org has been discarded, as you have to register on
the mailing list before you can post. I send this answer to you and to the
mailing list anyway, since it may interest other users, too.

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 8:42 AM, "John Wulff" <johnwulff at gmail.com>

> I know that TRMs are being phased out for PUIDs.  But!  At times I've
> come across tracks who's PUID is not in MusicBrainz yet.
> So, I decided to generate TRMs for these tracks and look them... but I
> can't figure out how.  I've gone over rbrainz and can't find any
> mention of looking up tracks via TRM.  I can't even find a mention of
> TRM lookup in the docs for the MusicBrainz XML web service
> (http://musicbrainz.org/doc/XMLWebService).  Is it at all possible to
> lookup tracks via TRM using rbrainz and/or the XML web service?

No, there is no possibility to do so with RBrainz because the XML web
service does not provide this functionality. The documentation is right on

> I see that I can use the RDF web service... but I don't want to rely
> on a depreciated web service (even though I'm willing to rely on
> deprecated TRMs when I don't have an alternative).

> Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

I fear the RDF web service is the only solution for TRM lookups. TRMs are
just as deprecated as the RDF web service, both shouldn't be used anymore.
If you still want to use TRMs you should be aware that they most likely will
be completely removed from MusicBrainz in the future. I don't know of any
definite date, but there are discussions of removing TRMs in the next server
release, which should come this fall.

> Thanks for the great library!
> --
> John Wulff

Thank you for using RBrainz and MusicBrainz in general.

Philipp Wolfer