[Rbrainz-users] REXML::ParseException: Declarations can only occur in the doctype declaration. (MusicBrainz::Webservice::ResponseError)

Philipp Wolfer phw at rubyforge.org
Tue Sep 4 04:43:33 EDT 2007

2007/9/3, Armin Otto <arminotto at googlemail.com>:
> apart from the Artist 'Pink':  Since the artists official name is 'P!ink',
> no search results are delivered if you query for 'Pink'.
> seems to be a problem with musicbrainz, though ... looks like there are evil
> characters left over, despite everything ...

This has nothing to do with characters or encoding ("P!nk" is exactly
the same in UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1). This case is normally handled in
MusicBrainz through the artist aliases (there is an alias "Pink" for
"P!nk" so the artist can be found).

It seems that the aliases are not used in track searches and according
to http://musicbrainz.org/doc/TextSearchSyntax there is no way to
search explicitly for artist aliases in track searches with Lucene.

A direct artist search however will use the aliases. The following
code does return "P!nk" as the first result.

query  = MusicBrainz::Webservice:: Query.new
result = query.get_artists(:name => 'Pink')
result.each do |entry|
   puts entry.entity.name

I don't know how to solve that issue for track queries. I think the
best way would be MusicBrainz using the aliases for all queries using
an artist name. If you really need this you should maybe open a
feature request on http://bugs.musicbrainz.org.

I hope that helps a little bit,