[raleigh.rb] hosting reccomendations

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Sat May 29 16:12:08 EDT 2010

+1 for static generators.  I prefer nanoc myself, but there's a number
of good ones out there, all with their own quirks.

Not only do you get the fastest possible site on the cheapest hosting,
you get many less security problems to worry about.  This is especially
important on one-off sites where you don't want to have to keep up with
version upgrades.

At least in nanoc, it's still pretty easy to use erb or PHP to do
limited server side programming where necessary.
(http://projects.stoneship.org/trac/nanoc/wiki/Tips/CreatingDynamicPages)

Obviously if it's a highly interactive site, static generators are
probably not the tool for the job.

As an aside, I use Slicehost for most of my hosting, and HostGator
shared hosting for a few non-critical things like my wife's blog.  I've
been quite pleased with both.

Web hosting talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/) is the best place I
know of to check out a host before buying.

Steve

--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Researcher    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |