[Rake-devel] Rake 0.9.3.beta.2 with -j option

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Tue Oct 23 20:34:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Hongli Lai <hongli at phusion.nl> wrote:
>
> > Conservative is one thing, but drake was written 2 years ago. There has
> been no response every time someone asks why drake was not merged.
>
> My main problem with drake is that it adds a second task execution engine
> that is subtly different the mainline rake engine.  The difference isn't
> critical and most projects won't even notice the difference, but having two
> similar but different engines offends my sensibilities.

It would trigger my OCD ;)

> If drake were to be merge, I would want to either (a) discard the current
> engine and use drake's engine exclusively, or (b) make the parallelization
> mechanism work more closely with the current rake engine.
>
> I know drake uses a dry-run pass to compute the dependency tree, but I'm
> not sure if the dry run pass uses the regular rake engine (which might
> impact option (a)) or if it does its own thing.

Is this something the drake author could help gain certainty about?

> In any case, a drake merge won't happen in the 0.9.x series as I would
> like to work out the current bug list and hit some simple features.  The
> Thread pool looked like an easy win and is really needed for the multitask
> stuff anyways. Michael has also proposed a -m option that implicitly turns
> tasks into multitasks, and I'm considering that instead of a drake
> integration.

I like -m better, it avoids a future behavioral change conflict with -j.

> However, if the -m flag is deemed inadequate, I will probably hold off on
> the thread pool as well and reconsider a drake move a bit farther down the
> line.
>
> Thoughts are welcome.
>
> (Postscript: I also have some concerns about turning on parallel execution
> in arbitrary Rakefiles.  I suspect it will work fine in projects that most
> shell out to compilers and linkers, but Rakefiles that run most Ruby code
> will probably be broken in ways that are hard to detect and reproduce. If
> anyone has any ideas on addressing that issue, I would love to hear them.)

But would it not require users to specify some option? Iow, the default
case would not be affected. And if someone specifies a new option, the
documentation could point out that in the case of incomplete dependency
specifications, recipes that depend on pure sequential operation for
correctness could break, and the missing dependencies need to be specified.

Jos

> --
> -- Jim Weirich
> -- jim.weirich at gmail.com