[Rake-devel] Rake 0.9.3.beta.2 with -j option

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Mon Oct 22 20:18:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Hongli Lai <hongli at phusion.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Vassilis Rizopoulos <
> vassilisrizopoulos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That could be an option for the 10.x series.
>> rake is so central to the ruby ecosystem that I don't mind a certain
>> conservative approach to new features.
> Conservative is one thing, but drake was written 2 years ago. There has
> been no response every time someone asks why drake was not merged.
> Furthermore, this -j behavior is so different from GNU make and other
> build tools that it raises the wrong expectations from users. It should not
> be called -j. Reserve -j for when drake is eventually (if ever) merged.

There's not much extra work right now to merge drake, just integration. If
this use of -j (multitask) catches on, it will be much harder to migrate to
the proper solution as implemented in drake later, so if this change has to
go in, I agree that it should not use -j. Otherwise there will be a
backward compatibility issue, which we don't have right now. Please choose

Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com