[Rake-devel] Deprecating Import ???

James M. Lawrence quixoticsycophant at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 09:55:39 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2011, at 3:34 AM, James M. Lawrence wrote:
>> Are you sure you wish to deprecate 'import'? It seems a gray area due
>> to the reasons I gave. I assume googlers will find this thread after
>> being flooded with 'import' warnings :)
> Ok, fair question.  I'll put it to the mailing list:  Deprecate import or not.
> I see several options:
> (A) Leave import as is and let JRuby worry about the conflict.
> (B) Deprecate import (favoring Rake.import), eventually ceding the import statement to JRuby (this is in the current beta direction)
> (C) Make A vs B a command line option (but which way to default?)

Rake is the most downloaded gem of all time. I assume that some
programmers use 'import' even if those on this list do not.

As I mentioned earlier, 'import' is only defined in jruby with
"require 'jruby'". It's not an automatic conflict.

My answer is that more data is needed. I've not heard of anyone using
jruby with rake. Given the set of programmers who do, the subset of
those who additionally need "require 'jruby'" is even smaller. It
could be the empty set. It would be most unfortunate if thousands of
programmers are annoyed in order to benefit the empty set of
programmers. And gradations thereof.