[Rake-devel] including .specification files (or other "dot" files) in Rake Package on Linux/Mac OS X

Assaf Arkin assaf at labnotes.org
Tue Nov 17 01:16:06 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Nathan Beyer <nbeyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've found that my instantiation of the Rake Package task for
> packaging up a Rails app isn't including the '.specification' files in
> the '/vendor/gems/**/*' pattern. I've recreated this on Linux and Mac
> OS X.
> It seems the issue is that the files, which are copied from their
> origin to the target folder, are missing the files. I'm guessing this
> is because of the underlying copy commands, but haven't dug into it
> yet.

FileList (also Dir.glob, File.fnmatch) does not match dot files when you use
the pattern "*".  That's by design, dot files are hidden, so the default
behavior is to not match them.  You can use the option File::FNM_DOTMATCH,
or change the pattern to match "{.*,*}".

Assaf Arkin
*Blogging at** **labnotes.org* <http://labnotes.org>* *