[Rake-devel] 'rule' ignored (bump)

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:47:28 EDT 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Tassilo Philipp wrote:

> Let's assume we have a bla.o.c file (just create one for this test,
> content is unimportant), then, when invoking rake, the advanced
> rule's proc gets evaluated, and the rule's body called, and we end
> up with a bla.o file.
> When invoking rake a second time, not even the rule's proc gets
> evaluated anymore. However, from what I wanted to do, it should be
> evaluated - e.g. in order to update bla.o when the timestamp of
> bla.o.c has changed.
> In the example above, bla.o only gets created when it doesn't exist
> beforehand.

That is certainly the current behavior of rake.  The rules only get
consulted when the file does not currently exist.

However, you raise an interesting point.  Should the rules be
consulted for time dependencies as well?.

I'm not sure.

One one hand, make checks the rules when just updating a file.  Since
the rake rules were patterned on make's, this argues that rake should
do the same.

On the other hand, dynamically generating dependencies is much easier
in rake, so perhaps the need for rules to handle this scenario is not
as great.

I'm open to discussion (and/or patches) on the topic.

-- jim.weirich at gmail.com