[Rake-devel] Rake DSL Commands are no long in top level

Bennett, Patrick Patrick.Bennett at inin.com
Fri Jun 5 11:59:15 EDT 2009

I’d rather they didn’t have a description at all.
# some rather long comment about this involved set of task creation code
xxxxx.each { |y| task ….}

With this patch I’d now have to worry about where comments for the *code* have to be located so that it doesn’t interfere with the tasks I’m programmatically creating?  Or sprinkle empty desc “” calls everywhere I programmatically create tasks that I don’t want to have task descriptions?   Yuck.
Perhaps I’m just in a very small minority in that I use rake in a complete build system where almost all tasks are programmatically generated.  I guess if I had a bunch of rakefiles with simple file, task, etc. calls in it I wouldn’t be so offended, but given that I have huge bodies of code built around programmatically generating various tasks, this patch really bothers me.

I’ve more than said what I needed to say.  If no one else cares there’s not much else I can say about it.
I already have to patch rake locally with some of my own changes whenever a new version comes out anyway so I guess I can remove this patch as well if it’s ever introduced publicly.

Cheers…
Patrick