[Rake-devel] An official pull request for auto-parallelizing with -j.

James M. Lawrence quixoticsycophant at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 21:44:32 EDT 2009

Hongli Lai wrote:
> However, compiling everything in parallel seems to slow things down:
>
> 'rake apache2 nginx': 1 min 3 sec
> 'rake apache2 nginx -j 2': 1 min 9 sec

This is as designed.  That command does not launch apache2 and nginx
in parallel.  Jim and I happened to agree that multiple tasks on the
command line should be taken sequentially

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rake-devel/2008-September/000566.html

though there was one vote against this behavior.  I assume it is still
up for discussion; at least I am not wholly committed.