[Rake-devel] An official pull request for auto-parallelizing with -j.

Hongli Lai hongli at phusion.nl
Wed Apr 15 02:52:28 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 3:26 AM, James M. Lawrence
<quixoticsycophant at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is expected that large Rakefiles will require some effort in
> getting the full graph correct.  If you push a branch to github which
> removes the chdirs I will take a look.  Also I assume you've changed
> this stuff:
>
>  Dir['*.cpp'].each do |file|
>    compile_cxx ...
>  end
>
> That's clearly not going to get parallelized since there are no Rake
> tasks there.

Yes I got rid of that stuff.

I made the changes in an unstable experimental branch which contains
major Rakefile overhauls and code refactorings. Building it in
tedious; it is not ready to be published yet but it will be soon, so
I'll publish it later this week.

> I tracked this down to graphviz not understanding slashes and dots in
> node names (depgraph.rake was, after all, a toy I quickly wrote then
> threw away).  I cherry-picked the deleted file back into master and
> committed a fix.
> http://github.com/quix/quix/blob/master/rakelib/depgraph.rake

Thanks, that worked. Here's the graph:

http://blog.phusion.nl/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/depgraph.pdf

It's very horizontal and most nodes have 2 or more outgoing edges.
This should mean that it's very parallelizable, right?

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: info at phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)