[Rake-devel] An official pull request for auto-parallelizing with -j.

James M. Lawrence quixoticsycophant at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:26:11 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:29 AM, Hongli Lai <hongli at phusion.nl> wrote:

>> I guess your dependency graph is linear-ish.  I would of course be
>> very interested if you could find a specific example which shows a
>> problem with -j.
>
> I don't think I specified my dependencies linearish though I could
> have made some mistake somewhere.

It is expected that large Rakefiles will require some effort in
getting the full graph correct.  If you push a branch to github which
removes the chdirs I will take a look.  Also I assume you've changed
this stuff:

  Dir['*.cpp'].each do |file|
    compile_cxx ...
  end

That's clearly not going to get parallelized since there are no Rake
tasks there.

> I'm unable to build a dependency graph. When I run your Rake task I
> get an obscure error message:

I tracked this down to graphviz not understanding slashes and dots in
node names (depgraph.rake was, after all, a toy I quickly wrote then
threw away).  I cherry-picked the deleted file back into master and
committed a fix.
http://github.com/quix/quix/blob/master/rakelib/depgraph.rake

Kind Regards,
James M. Lawrence