[Rake-devel] win32_system_dir

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 10:27:44 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2008, at 8:47 PM, Jim Weirich wrote:
>> APPDATA was what was suggested earlier on this mailing list (unless my
>> memory is failing me).
> I see my memory was failing me.  In the ~/.rake thread there were several
> suggestions.  Some with a hierarchy, some with just APPDATA.  I
> misremembered that thread.

That sometimes happens :-)

The thing is that under some environments, APPDATA and USERPROFILE
always maps to the local copy of the profile and not the server
located one. Under those environments, mapping user home to a drive
letter also happens, and you end having HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH

When the user logout of the terminal, sometimes the roaming profile
only sync back to the server when terminal is shutting down, so you
end with not up to date info in other terminals (that's the purpose of
the mapped user home, you store info directly there instead).

In Ruby 1.8, expansion of ~ required you to have defined HOME
environment variable.

In 1.9 however, that changed to use HOMEDRIVE + HOMEPATH if HOME is
not defined, and the trying the other combinations (USERPROFILE and
special Personal folder, which applies only to Vista).

Thank you for your time invested in improve thsi situation for Windows
users Jim :-)

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams