[Rake-devel] Rake::Win32.rake_system

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 23:56:09 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Turpin, Jay <jay.turpin at intel.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Once we upgraded from rake 0.8.1 to 0.8.3, our builds began to break. I
> traced the issue down to the tasks which were executing sh commands that had
> embedded newline characters in them.

> This syntax used to work fine, but now there has been a change to use
> Rake::Win32.rake_system() instead of using the system()
>

> # Run a command line on windows.
>
> def rake_system(*cmd)
>
>   if cmd.size == 1
>
>     system("call #{cmd}")
>
>   else
>
>      system(*cmd)
>
>   end
>
> end

Will be good to know why this change was introduced.

I think this commit introduced the change:

http://github.com/jimweirich/rake/commit/9981a2fb9bede211b0f7d00265e7c0e2aa9bc8c9

But I cannot understand the issue behind the shell expansion, since
after all system is indeed generating a new, child cmd.exe which
inherits parent environment.

But maybe is not that the problem, I'm missing something?

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17