[Rake-devel] The 'ruby' help on windows

Dave Thomas dave at pragprog.com
Mon Sep 15 14:30:09 EDT 2008

One of our authors has Ruby under Windows installed in c:\Program Files
\ruby

In our rake tasks, we have

ruby %{"#{BIBEXTRACT}" "#{t.source}" >"#{t.name}"}, :verbose => true

When they run this, they see the tracing:

c:/Program Files/ruby/bin/ruby "C:/Development/workspace/EBAND/PPStuff/
util/bin/bibextract.rb" "book.xml" >"book.cited-xml"
'c:/Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

The space in the 'Program Files' directory name is being taken as a
separator, and so the command doesn't execute.

Is there a simple workaround for this, or do I need o tell the author
to reinstall Ruby somewhere with no spaces in the path?

Cheers

Dave