[Rake-devel] core dumps due to deep task dependencies

Ittay Dror ittay.dror at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 03:09:46 EDT 2008

I'm getting core dumps due to stack exhaustion as a result of deep task
dependencies and the recursion they create.

Finding out what chain of dependencies caused the dump is hard since
ruby crashes (so no nice stack trace), and due to the nature of tasks,
once files have been created in the previous run the recursion stops
(and deleting everything to recreate means waiting a long time for the
crash to happen).

Also, even after finding the reason for the crash, it is hard for me to
redesign my flow so that the dependencies are not deep.

Any tips?

Thank you,

Ittay Dror <ittay.dror at gmail.com>