[Rake-devel] Tracking some discrepancies on Windows

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 13:40:41 EDT 2008

Hello everybody.

I'm just investing a bit fixing some issues I found with latest 0.8.3
release and are hitting me hard to maintain One-Click installer.

One of those is related to rake_system call and the "call" added, and
others are related to ruby and sh commands.

I forked the project and added some fixed in windows branch:

http://github.com/luislavena/rake/tree/windows

So using that as base, I found the following discrepancy:

http://pastie.org/299068

Keep in mind that this version of ruby (patchlevel 114) has been
patched to solve the $? existstatus issues found in previous versions
of Ruby for Windows.

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2008/05/24/random-bits-and-experiments/

Looking more closer, I believe Kernel::system with mutliple arguments is broken.

irb(main):001:0> ENV['FOO'] = "hello"
=> "hello"
irb(main):002:0> system "echo", "$FOO"
$FOO