[Rake-devel] Building native extensions with Rake

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:29:07 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:
>
>> Jim: would you bless this work to be included into Rake itself? Right
>> now is been driven by features (Cucumber) and specs, but I could
>> change that and add TU if is a requirement.
>

> Sorry, I've been under the weather the past few days and am behind in email.

No problem, we are all behind emails :-)

> In principle, I support getting this kind of thing into rake.  I won't
> comment on the specifics of this proposal until I get a chance to look it
> over.  From the discussion, it sounds like people with more experience in
> native extensions than me are already providing feedback.

Yes, they do, and is really helpful.

Right now ExtensionTask is able to generate a native gem for the
provided gem_spec.

Section "Generate native gems" in the README:
http://github.com/luislavena/rake-compiler/tree/master/README.rdoc

> Regarding cucumber/specs, you can use what you like, but if its going to be
> part of rake, I will expect it to use Test::Unit.

I took a look to how Tasks like RDoc and other are being tested. They
pretty much deal with definition of those, and is not actually
invoking them.

Using Cucumber I managed to drive a integration test like any user
will do, beyond just the task definition.

In any case, I'll evaluate conversion of those once I managed to
complete Java and cross platform building.

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17