[Rake-devel] Building native extensions with Rake

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Tue Nov 18 15:18:11 EST 2008

> I agree with you, Ruby assumption is dumb, but you cannot build
> extensions for current ruby with VC8, even going away of the compiler
> issue.
> The thing is that both libraries will depend on different CRT which at
> the same time will alloc and release objects from their HEAP, mixing
> CRTs in the same space will segfault. Been there, done that.

Well, this is a different issue.  But I disagree with your conclusion -
if you are careful it is doable.

> The idea behind these tasks is provide a standard building mechanism
> when using Rake, which will also open the door for doing cross
> compilation (I have that in my stash of things to commit).

Maybe.  But I think rake is the wrong place for this.  Rake should drive
someother class. For example, rake drives rdoc.  Rake drives ruby gems.
  Rake could drive compiling an extension, but shouldn't be doing it itself.